“Women’s learning is a “spiritual” meal in every sense of the word. Led by Rabbi Janet, whose knowledge and love of Judaism is almost palpable, we are taken on a journey that can encompass aspects of Torah, Mishnah and other religions, whilst encouraging debate and input of our own experiences and views. A true exploration of our rich heritage and culture.”- a member.
Adult study at Westminster Synagogue is a core part of our education centre. A community that learns together, enjoys synagogue life more. It is at the centre of our Judaism, so we turn it and turn it and keep in conversation with it through traditional text learning or discussion of contemporary issues.
Enjoy a great cup of NESPRESSO coffee and pastry and lively discussion with fellow members and friends.
Our rabbi and team of qualified educators offer you:
- Weekly Hebrew, 10-11am before service. We have also been running an intermediate class, and so please contact us as soon as possible if interested in either group.
- Melton - Text Based Jewish Learning with the Lyons Learning Project and Liberal Judaism
- Lay Reading a distance learning course with Rabbi Thomas and Nick to give you the opportunity to explore different aspects of services
- Torah Breakfasts, offers the chance to explore the weekly Torah portion with Rabbi Thomas, our Head of Education or a guest facilitator. The group meets termly at 9.30am before services with coffee and croissants.
- Or Chadash, our weekly Access to Judaism class. Although many who attend are on our conversion course, all members of the community are welcome to join us to consider different aspects of Judaism. The group meets on Wednesdays from 6.30-8pm.
- Lunch and Learn: A mid-week monthly study group led by the Head of Education and the Rabbi.
- Women's Bat Mitzvah - An all women's learning group who meet monthly on a Monday evening from 6.30-8.00pm for text exploration with Rabbi Janet Burden.
Informal Jewish learning activities include:
- Jewish Film Nights
- Lectures on Jewish topics
- Jewish cooking
- Festival events
In addition, our Westminster Young Professionals (WYP) Group hold regular events with a particular educational focus. Among recent highlights have been a panel discussion of Surrogacy from a Jewish perspective, a representative of Kibbutz Eshbal discussing the inspirational work of his community with Israeli teenagers on the margins of society, and coming up on September 8th the group is holding an evening of Yoga. For more information on these WYP events please click to visit our Westminster Young Professionals page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on Adult Education including precise dates or times download our Monthly Newsletter To download a copy of the current Monthly Newsletter, please click here. or contact Nick Young via email@example.com.
For information on our informal education programme or cultural/community events check the Synagogue Education Calendar for dates or contact Jon Zecharia via firstname.lastname@example.org